FAQ Driver’s License

Frequently Asked Questions About GA Driver’s License

Question: My driver’s license is canceled, suspended, and/or revoked. How can I get my license reinstated?

Answer: You may contact the Georgia Department of Driver Services at 678-413-8400. Driver Services Representatives are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:15 p.m.

If you desire specific information concerning your driver license record, it will be necessary that you submit a letter of request to the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services, Post Office Box 80447, Conyers, Georgia 30013.

This request must contain your name as it appears on your driver’s license, driver’s license number, date of birth, correct mailing address, and your signature.

Question: My license expired, and I am currently out of state. Can I get my license renewed by mail?

Answer: Yes. Click here for this information.

Question: I’m currently in the military (or a full-time student) out-of-state. How can I renew my license?

Answer: Whether you are currently active-duty military or a full-time student (or dependent of same) living out-of-state, as long as you claim Georgia as your home of residency, you may obtain a renewal of your Georgia driver’s license by mail.

You may request a renewal application approximately two months prior to expiration of your driver’s license by writing to the Georgia Department of Driver’s Services, Special Issuance Unit, Post Office Box 80447, Conyers, Georgia 30013.

The application will then be forwarded to you, listing all the requirements necessary for license renewal through the mail.

Question: I lost my Georgia driver’s license, and I am temporarily out-of-state. Can I obtain something to drive on until I return to Georgia?

Answer: Provided you hold a valid Georgia driver’s license, you may request a 30-day, temporary driver’s permit. This permit is nonrenewable, so you will be required to obtain another driver’s license at a Georgia Driver’s License Facility prior to expiration of the 30-day permit, by showing proper identification and paying the appropriate licensing fee. You may call (678) 413-8438 to request a 30-day permit.

Question: My “Persons with disabilities parking permit” is about to expire. How can I obtain another one?

Answer: For a temporary permit, the physician must state on the application a specified time that he believes the disability will last. Temporary permits may be issued for a period not to exceed six months. A new permit will require a new application.

For a permanent permit, the physician must indicate on the application “permanent” by checking ‘Yes’ in the appropriate box. The permit will be issued for four years from the date of issuance, and may be renewed by surrendering the old permit into the driver’s license examination facility before the expiration date, if application was made on the new DS-29 form. The permit will then be dated for another four years.

If a temporary or permanent Persons with a Disability Parking Permit is lost or stolen, a new application is required.

Question: How can I obtain my MVR (motor vehicle report)?

Answer: Click here for this information.

Other Questions that aren’t answered here or by this website can be found in the Georgia Dept. of Drivers Services.

Attorney at Law - Jim Whitlock - "The Godfather"